Wednesday, May 04, 2005

roswell. calculator.


I'd have bet good money that something called the Roswell Calculator wouldn't be the nouveau art piece of machinery that I'd want on my tastefully modern desk. And I'm not saying this thing rocks my world...but I don't know, I kind of like it. It's geometrically pleasing with a nice recursive pattern: note the square base inset with the round face plate that is itself inset with round keys arranged in a square pattern. And let us not overlook the fact that it mixes wood and aluminum in a tastefully modern fashion. And it has a transparent floating display for a bit of pizzazz. I'm not sure how the "built in Euro converter" works, since the price of the Euro isn't exactly fixed, but I don't plan to use that very often, since the price is in good old dollars: $60 to be exact.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...since the price of the Euro isn't exactly fixed...

Actually, it is. To quote the official Euro web site:

The conversion rate for the euro for each participating currency is irrevocably fixed and is the only rate to be used for conversion either way between the euro and the national currency unit or for conversion between the national currency units.

See: Euro banknotes & coins: Conversion Rates.

Oh, you want to convert to US dollars?...

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

though you make some good points about the materiality and the geometry i think the display could have been carried off a little more elegantly. Using the transparent lcd seems like a bit of a cheap and gimmickey application of technology, almost like a dollar-store trick. The angle and the transparency makes it look as though it would be tough to read..

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home