Wednesday, October 13, 2004

globlow.



Globlow is another one of those "living lamps," sort of like the Gravity but less aggressive. In the Globlow's case, the shade is made of rip-stop nylon that inflates when the light is on and deflates when it's off.

deflated.
I think the idea is interesting, but the execution isn't quite working for me. I don't think I want to wait for my light to inflate, and even if I did the deflated version is not very savory looking. Of course, I probably couldn't tell in the dark, but still...I'd know it was there, dangling limply. Ick.

fan.
The Globlow also has a 12W fan inside to puff it up (yeah, at first I also thought it was the heat from the bulb that made it expand...nope), and I'm not sure I can take fan noise in my computer and my light at the same time. Not for $499 anyway. Still, I give the designers an "A" for effort.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, thought that maybe the heat would cause the lamp to puff up, which gave me an even better idea.
two words: jiffy pop.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/banshee

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the fan keep running for a time after you turn the lamp off? Otherwise you'd have nylon draped across a hot bulb... not the safest idea.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home