Wednesday, October 13, 2004


Globlow is another one of those "living lamps," sort of like the Gravity but less aggressive. In the Globlow's case, the shade is made of rip-stop nylon that inflates when the light is on and deflates when it's off.

I think the idea is interesting, but the execution isn't quite working for me. I don't think I want to wait for my light to inflate, and even if I did the deflated version is not very savory looking. Of course, I probably couldn't tell in the dark, but still...I'd know it was there, dangling limply. Ick.

The Globlow also has a 12W fan inside to puff it up (yeah, at first I also thought it was the heat from the bulb that made it expand...nope), and I'm not sure I can take fan noise in my computer and my light at the same time. Not for $499 anyway. Still, I give the designers an "A" for effort.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, thought that maybe the heat would cause the lamp to puff up, which gave me an even better idea.
two words: jiffy pop.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the fan keep running for a time after you turn the lamp off? Otherwise you'd have nylon draped across a hot bulb... not the safest idea.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home