Tuesday, November 16, 2004

(c)lamp.



Cyber journalist, Wired blogger, science fiction author and design maven Bruce Sterling is putting the final touches on his first commercial lighting project, called the (C)lamp. Here he is in Paris reading by the light of his own creation. Nice work if you can get it, Bruce!

oh. lamp.
Not having seen it in person, my first reaction from the pic is "Oh, how orange!" And then "Oh, how organic." But ultimately I think I'll end up with, "Oh, how cool." (Maybe it should be called the (O)lamp?) It's kind of like a Halloween mushroom made out of DNA. In case you're wondering, I mean that in a good way.

available.
In terms of availability, Bruce says: "Should be next month, if all goes well. We are ironing out final manufacturing details."


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the correct name for it should be (C)hump because if you shell out on it that's what you'd be Brucie will be laughing all the way to the bank.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Yeah the lamp is cool and stuff, but your "Nice work if you can get it, Bruce!" comment is driving me nuts...I can hear the tune and a few of the words in the song, but I can't place it with the movie (or play, either way it's from a musical)!

What musical is it from? "Loving one who loves you, and then taking that bow. Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try." Or something to that effect.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nice work if you can get it" comes from the Gershwin musical Crazy for You towards the end of Act I, scene 1. I'm almost positive that song appeared in some other work of his, but I can't place it right now.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Junior Hansen Jr. said...

I believe it was introduced by Fred Astaire in the musical Damsel in Distress (1937) with a delightful piece of business wherein he teaches a madrigal choir to swing.

My favorite version is sung by Ella Fitzgerald which includes this vamp:
The man who only lives for making money
Lives a life that isn't necessarily sunny;
Likewise the man who works for fame --
There's no guarantee that time won't erase his name
The fact is
The only work that really brings enjoyment
Is the kind that is for girl and boy meant.
Fall in love -- you won't regret it.
That's the best work of all -- if you can get it


I'm falling in love with Bruce's (c)lamp, its warm glow will bring much enjoyment… the kind that is for all consumers meant…

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home