Thursday, November 11, 2004

i-lean.



The I-lean is a very strange concept. It's a piece of furniture that you ... lean against. Even in the world of funky furniture, that's a pretty specialized product.

i. deal.
The ideal spots for the I-lean are, so we're told, "areas where social interaction is constant and people linger." But I just can't see myself easily conversing or lingering with someone standing, er, leaning, against this. Even the guys in the product shot don't look like they're very comfortable. (And where is that guy going to put his drink, huh?) But I give designer Daniel Harper points for trying something new!

i. cost. $1,200.
An I-Lean will run you $1,200, and more ideal uses for it, we're further told, are: bars, lounges, coffee houses, for teachers, rest areas, bus stops, loft style spaces, and impromptu gatherings. (Okay, seriously, impromptu gatherings? Like I just happened to have my I-Lean with me when a bunch of people spontaneously show up for...oh, never mind. I-done.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm seems to me like a waste of money. just that.

1:25 AM  
Blogger ladygoat said...

Maybe it would good for women wearing short skirts that they're worried about riding up when they sit down, or people wearing jeans so tight they can't sit?

5:32 AM  
Blogger Tim Cuthbertson said...

You gotta stand on a little pedastal thing to lean on one of these? That's probably the most ridiculous part...

5:57 AM  
Blogger gina said...

It looks like one of those contraptions you see at the gym for doing leg lifts. Weird!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Evan Jones said...

It seems to me that these are just derived from the leaning devices used backstage for actors and singers waiting to go on stage. Maybe the theatre people have a special name for them. Sitting down in costume isn’t always possible, and it’s a lot more relaxing to lean than to stand. The purpose of them, to my way of thinking, should be non-socially interactive. People should step out of the way into one, as an alterative to just going home.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home