Friday, December 17, 2004

displayce.



Displayce is a brilliant idea for a multi-level table that changes its shape when you put things on it. In their words, "Displayce - From the definition of infuse: to introduce a thing into another, affecting it throughout. The Displayce table surface is broken into sections that begin level. After placing an object on one of the sections the others change in height reacting to the placed object's weight."

brilliant. but.
I think the concept is amazing, but the execution is -- literally -- uneven. From the picture it looks like a table was chunked up into squares, and each of those squares was put on top of some pretty wobbly springs, so this version doesn't hold together all that well. In my mind's eye, though, the perfect version of this is a table with a surface that looks uniform (i.e. not chunked up and wobble-ish) and then "displayces" in a smoother fashion. So designer Joel Hoag gets high marks for the idea and high hopes that he can pull it together in a working model that I can one day buy and misplayce my keys on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janelle said...

What a great idea this would be for all of those times when I place my keys on the table and then can't see them for some reason even though they are right there in front of me...

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home