Sunday, July 11, 2004

word. clock.



When I think about what time it is, I usually think in relative terms, not the absolute numbers most clocks use. If it's almost twelve o'clock, for instance, I usually think something cunning like, "It's almost twelve o'clock." I don't usually think "It's 11:57:02."

dutch. architects.
Apparently some Dutch architects think the same way I do, which is why they invented the Word Clock. The clock doesn't use numerical notation to show you what time it is, it uses ... words. With the Word Clock, 11:55 becomes "Five minutes to twelve." And 11:57:02 becomes "It's about twelve."

no. hands.
A clock with no numbers might not be such a big deal, but this one also does without those old timepiece mainstays, the clock hands. And while designers Muller and van Dongen were at it, they ditched the typical square or circle designs of most clocks and instead went with a cylinder. As the two parts of the cylinder rotate, the number words ("three," "seven," "twelve," etc.) line up with the appropriate phrases ("ten minutes past," "five minutes to," etc.) to tell you the time.

time. for. options.
You can get the Word Clock in a bunch of languages, like Japanese, English, French and, of course, Dutch. You can also get it in different sizes, such as 21" long or 33" long. And you even have options when it comes to placement, since it will work on both horizontal and vertical surfaces.

hot. tip.
A place called Lifestyle Fascination is selling the 21" version for $50 less than the list price.

11 Comments:

Blogger Funfurde said...

Heh...don't worry, I bought one too!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Mac application FuzzyClock does this too, putting a 'word clock' in the menubar. I find it so much easier to read than a digital clock, and I hardly think in terms of exact minutes anymore.

http://www.objectpark.org/FuzzyClock.html

FuzzyClock has tons of language options (even Esperanto), but I like the British ("half past twelve") and American ("twelve thirty") localizations best.

-elaine
www.kostia.net

9:55 PM  
Blogger joost said...

Cool! I have been working on a time perception design a couple of months ago for a the core77 timex competition. Came up with a different idea though.

BTW cool site you have here.

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

windoze available too..

http://www.gocool.org/archives/000213.php

8:04 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Fuzzy Clock has also been part of KDE (Linux and other *nix variants) for a long time. Have it on my panel right now...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

... whenever "right now" might be.

I want one of these, in a most unnatural way. However, I'm down in Australia, and the a) shipping and b) conversion rate is prohibitively high. Now I'm wondering how hard to would be to hack one together out of household items, MacGuyver-style.

*sigh* Another project I won't finish. :-)

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could find at least one place that actually is selling this clock...

2:03 AM  
Blogger Funfurde said...

The guys from the store I linked to said they sold out of the Word Clock a day or two after it was blogged, FYI. I'm not clear if they are getting more or not (but they seemed quite happy to sell out of it).

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find this clock anywhere. Is it not for sale anymore? Any suggestions?

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was wondering the same, where can i get one now?

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same, where can i get one now???? Thanks!

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home