Monday, July 19, 2004

phoenix. chair.


Hank Vu isn't kidding around. When Urbana's chief designer set out to make a chair "inspired by the flight of birds," he made sure you'd know it at first glance. And when he put wing-backs on this chair, he really put wing-backs on it. Behold the Phoenix.

on. the. wing.
I think the Phoenix is pretty self explanatory: See. Desire. Drool. Beyond its looks, though, it's worth talking about how the chair actually holds up when you're, you know, sitting on it and not just ogling it. I got to try a gorgeous two-tone model at Soma Sofa in San Francisco, and I can report that it's sweet for sitting. I don't mean sitting and reading for five hours, but I do mean sitting and chatting with your guests after dinner.

drink. lounge.
When sitting, you actually rest your arms on top of the wings, which are surprisingly comfortable. The reason I say I wouldn't read in it for hours is because the wings sweep so far forward that it's a bit confining. They're also too high to put your legs over. But if you want to lounge with a drink in your hand, it's perfect.

color. scheme.
It's pictured in purple but Urbana carries a lot of colors, some less funky and some more, so you can dress it up or down as needed. I happen to be in love with the Riflesso, which is a "high-end, high sheen 'modeling' crushed velvet." I don't know what that means, but it's damn comfortable and it looks amazing. Just like the rest of the chair.

11 Comments:

Blogger Milo said...

Mrph. Don't like it. It's too cluttered.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Cnut said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:55 PM  
Blogger adam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that is one ugly chair.

give me simplicty over gimmickry any day.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be an amusing piece in a small hotel lobby.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Midget said...

That chair makes me really happy.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kayserz said...

Well I like the chair! It's very....attention grabbing. But according to you, still comfortable. Don't get me wrong though, it's function or fashion for me.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Feng Qin said...

Hmm.. It could be said, felt comfortable when you sit oh there. Back of the chair looks like human finger. Don't you realize it?

4:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hey! This blog's kool, love the style. Mine's not quite that but it is kool, Look at it! www.readmyart.blogspot.com LEAVE A COMMENT ON IT!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lydia Raphael said...

I like the Phoenix chair. It looks like a modern version of an Egyptian throne with protective wings but I agree it would be too confining for reading or spending any time beyond a social chat. I would like to see some photos of the furniture with people beside it and sitting on it. Its hard to imagine the pony being large enough for someone to sit on. Purple is one of my favorite colors and velvets my favorite fabric. The chrome legs make it look more modern but I don't know if I might prefer a softer friendlier look with the all four legs the same with the thick purple velvet.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Hi-C-MoS said...

LOL

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home