Monday, July 19, 2004

phoenix. chair.


Hank Vu isn't kidding around. When Urbana's chief designer set out to make a chair "inspired by the flight of birds," he made sure you'd know it at first glance. And when he put wing-backs on this chair, he really put wing-backs on it. Behold the Phoenix.

on. the. wing.
I think the Phoenix is pretty self explanatory: See. Desire. Drool. Beyond its looks, though, it's worth talking about how the chair actually holds up when you're, you know, sitting on it and not just ogling it. I got to try a gorgeous two-tone model at Soma Sofa in San Francisco, and I can report that it's sweet for sitting. I don't mean sitting and reading for five hours, but I do mean sitting and chatting with your guests after dinner.

drink. lounge.
When sitting, you actually rest your arms on top of the wings, which are surprisingly comfortable. The reason I say I wouldn't read in it for hours is because the wings sweep so far forward that it's a bit confining. They're also too high to put your legs over. But if you want to lounge with a drink in your hand, it's perfect.

color. scheme.
It's pictured in purple but Urbana carries a lot of colors, some less funky and some more, so you can dress it up or down as needed. I happen to be in love with the Riflesso, which is a "high-end, high sheen 'modeling' crushed velvet." I don't know what that means, but it's damn comfortable and it looks amazing. Just like the rest of the chair.

3 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that is one ugly chair.

give me simplicty over gimmickry any day.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be an amusing piece in a small hotel lobby.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home