Thursday, July 29, 2004

pony.



I don't think I can describe the Pony any better than creator Eero Aarnio already has: "A chair is a chair, is a chair, is a chair ... but a seat does not necessarily have to be a chair. It can be anything as it is ergonomically correct. A seat could even be a small and soft Pony on which you can 'ride' or sit sideways."

not. a. toy.
Aarnio maintains that the Pony is not a toy, at least not a toy for kids. To emphasize the point, he made it big. How big? Trust me, the thing is, like, big. Like, bigger than you think when you think "big" but not quite into "huge" territory. Big enough for a big kid like me anyway. Big enough that you better have a big room to put it in, too.

sitting.
As far as sitting on the Pony goes, I don't think that's going to happen too much. It's really more of a looking-at than a sitting-on piece. And honestly it's mostly a what-is-that? kind of piece. But those are certainly fun to have around. And the Pony is funner than most.

1973.
The original Pony was released in 1973, but Aarnio and ADELTA have teamed up to make a modern version. It's only for those with, like, big wallets though. The cheapest I've seen it is about $2,000. I guess I'm going to confine my looking-at to the store for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger joost said...

I have a copy of Casa (a Japanese design mag) that comes with a plastic model of the Pony.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Nikoy said...

I never thought of it as a chair when i first saw the picture above. It looks nice, cute, ergonomic, doesn't look too comfy though.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Pril said...

Wow i thought it was like a chia pet thing... it looks like a plastic toy! i wonder how long i could sit in that!
thanks for the awsome links~

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a big Ponny!! With a big price too!

If you what to make money in the internet without having to do nothing (reading email's cliking banners and thos things) check this web page!
http://eurobarre.pt.vu/

1:55 PM  
Blogger vincent404 said...

very cool

4:26 PM  
Blogger Crescendo said...

Y'know, I want one of those. It's so modern and orange and purtyful that I just really want one. I wish that I had the money :( But then again, if most of use had $2,000 smackers, we wouldn't spend it on a chair. I'd be paying off the rest of my debt (so... close...), and then getting things that I need instead of want. Dang. Reality is a drag, isn't it?

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home