Thursday, August 19, 2004

travelland. river. table.



Based on the theory that rivers are relaxing, Oliver Beckert thought it'd be nice to put one in your house. But, you know, a river can take up a lot of space, so where to put it? At this point Oliver kicked his feet up on the coffee table to have himself a think and...eureka! If the table has room for feet, he thought, it's got room for a river!

maybe. not.
Okay, maybe that's not what happened, but I'm not sure how else you get the idea to put a river in a table. However you come up with the idea, though, it's a pretty good one. Just looking at the Travelland River Table makes me feel relaxed, like my stress is just flowing away...

sticker. shock.
...until I see the $4,320 price tag that's attached to it. Ouch! I'm pretty sure I can buy an actual river somewhere for that price, and the plane fare to travel to it if it's not near me.

Note: Since I have to go look for that river, there probably won't be updates until Wednesday.

11 Comments:

Blogger HD said...

That is truly one of the coolest tables I've ever seen!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Mike Thorn said...

Wow, that's really a clever idea. Kind of like the vertical water things, only on the coffee table.

I think the cat would like this one. I can just see the moocher sitting in the middle of the table dipping her paw.

6:32 AM  
Blogger EmGee said...

That table is sooo cool. I bet I can convince a friend of mine to make one... Nice find!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Mookmeister said...

WOW! I designed one a while back myself! The idea came to me quite 'naturally' since I did my graduate work in fluvial geomorphology (river forms and processes). My next step is to design one that continuously transports sediment as well as water since those are the fundamental elements that rivers are designed to carry...a river's raison d'etre.

1:03 AM  
Blogger ~R said...

With a price like that, even those billionaires who *like* to spend thousands more than something is worth for "the hell of it" (and here I am thinking perhaps of the US army, which has before bought a million dollar, heavy-duty "fax machine") might balk at buying.
Ok, so no one likes a do-it-yourself fix, but this seems rather ideal, and worth the work.
the only part that might run expensive is the motor to get the water back up to the source. However, the cost of getting someone who uses a similar process for, say, koi ponds, should be considerably less than 4 grand

6:36 PM  
Blogger ~R said...

With a price like that, even those billionaires who *like* to spend thousands more than something is worth for "the hell of it" (and here I am thinking perhaps of the US army, which has before bought a million dollar, heavy-duty "fax machine") might balk at buying.
Ok, so no one likes a do-it-yourself fix, but this seems rather ideal, and worth the work.
the only part that might run expensive is the motor to get the water back up to the source. However, the cost of getting someone who uses a similar process for, say, koi ponds, should be considerably less than 4 grand

6:36 PM  
Blogger subutane said...

That's beautiful!

3:20 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

That table is cool.
What do you think of this one ?

http://www.endon-house.demon.co.uk/sophieani3.gif at
Lee Sinclair MSDC designer & craftsman
http://www.endon-house.demon.co.uk/

7:18 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

It has 5 different uses that I've seen first hand.

Long coffee table, short coffee table, short TV dinner table , long table for 4 in the kitchen and a painter's easel.
The cost is around £600.

BTW, this is a funky site. I've been browsing for a while.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Eric the Butt Nutt said...

THE place for irreverant humor and escape from the falsehoods of today's media:
http://brooklynspapi.blogspot.com/

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I followed the link... I'm here... What do I win? Cat Furniture?

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home