Monday, August 02, 2004

bouloum. chaise.



What could be more comfortable for the human body to recline on than a human body in recline? If that made sense to you, then you more or less understand the sentiment behind the Bouloum Chaise. It was designed by Olivier Mourgue in 1968 and named after one of his childhood friends (presumably someone he sat on and, if so, hopefully a comfortable someone).

characterful.
The Hive Web site where I found it describes the Bouloum as "characterful" and also describes how Mourgue took the seat with him when he traveled, photographing it in various "situations." What I take from that is not an intense curiosity about what these "situations" were (okay, I'm lying, I am curious), but the fact that this thing is apparently light enough to carry around. I.e. it's light enough to move easily. I.e. it probably does not way 10,000 lbs.

museum. piece.
Apparently I'm not the only who thinks the Bouloum Chaise is pretty freakin cool. After coming across it online, I googled it and found out it's on permanent display in the New York Museum of Modern Art. Deservedly so, I say.

owning. history.
Unlike most museum pieces, you can own this bit of history for just $950 (not the one in the museum, of course). Luckily that seems to include free shipping at most Web sites where I've found it for sale.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool site. Really classy and an appealing layout and design. Congrats!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home