Tuesday, August 03, 2004

lazy. lamp.



The Lazy Lamp from Chris Slutter is a cross between a floor lamp and a wall sconce. That makes it kind of perfect if you want a sconce, but you either a) don't want an on-wall kind with a cord hanging from it or b) don't want to cut into your sheetrock to add the in-wall kind. It's also kind of perfect if you want a floor lamp, but one that looks a bit unusual.

it. leans.
The Lazy is also called the Lean Lamp because that's what it does...it leans on your wall for support. The square top of the Lazy is made of rubber, and without a wall to lean against it just kind of flops around pitifully. Lean it against a wall, though, and it looks distinctive and stylish. I recently bought a Lazy and everyone who comes to the house admires it. So much that I'm probably going to buy another.



not. quite. perfect.
I love my Lazy but there are two things that would make me like it better. The first is if the cord didn't stick out about a foot up from the base of the aluminum pole (you can see this in the top picture). And the second is if the cord weren't brown, which doesn't go at all with the rest of the lamp. (Yeah, I could hack it with a new cord, etc., but ... nah.)

lovely. light.
A quick note here about the light quality of the Lazy, which uses a 40 watt bulb. Because the rubber top is translucent, it gives off a nice, warm light that looks kind of candle-ish. And it comes in four charming colors: white, yellow, blue and orange. But since the top isn't covered, it also acts as kind of a torchier and illuminates a small area quite well. As far as pricing, it's not free but it's not outrageous. I found it at Retromodern for $195.

2 Comments:

Blogger joost said...

I love my "leun lamp" too. I have one in white. At first I had some trouble with it, because my old version of the lamp's rubber end slided on my floor. More than once a day I had to pick it up and place it back. I dropped an email to Goods and they sent me a replacement rubber end, within two days. It's working great now.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see one of these designed to fit into a corner.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home