Wednesday, September 15, 2004

meditation. pod.



The Meditation Pod from Edra is an interesting idea that to my mind suffers from a serious flaw. First, the idea: Create a three-leaf clover design that looks good in the center of the room and "whose ample proportions allow for the freest interpretation of the word 'comfort.'"

okay. but.
Now the flaw: Look at the woman in this picture. She's not quite sitting down and she's not quite lying down and she definitely doesn't look comfortable. Unless your freest interpretation of the word comfort is "uncomfortable," I just don't think this works.

style.
Of course it looks cool and maybe that's all that matters when it comes to meditation, which doesn't strike me as the most comfortable thing in the world to begin with. I mean, if you're going to be uncomfortable while you meditate, at least now you can do it in style.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find this? I want one! I hope it's not too outrageously expensive...

9:10 PM  
Blogger Dave P. said...

It looks like it could be comfortable, just not the way the model is sitting. Are the petals adjustable?

The other problem I have is that I couldn't be comfortable knowing I'm balancing on that thin post and liable to topple over at any moment.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will always take design over comfort any day. I have been to the design district in LA and most of there best designs are not easy to relax in. They are made with the idea of art or sculpture. If you want comfort get a lazy-boy or a overstuffed sofa. Take a look at Marc Newson's Embryo Chair.
http://minimadesign.com/product.asp?productID=800
I have tryed to relax in it and it's a joke still I would buy it in a second as art.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I just love seeing what new things you have discovered!Please keep up the good posting, and no that chair looks far freom comfortable, maybe with a blanki?

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could seat three people with their backs to the petals and their legs crossed in front. I think they should market this thing as the perfect love seat for a menagé a tois.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many chairs have you sat in that look slightly uncomfortable but turn out to be really good? Or ones you keep going back to?

Maybe it is the most comfortable chair ever...

jono. UK

4:56 AM  
Blogger Dominic Muren said...

I agree on the whole discomfort thing. Being a failry tall guy, I don't think that I could sit up against one of those "backrests" without sliding down, since there's no "footrest" opposite me. Also, the whole bit about looking good in the center of a room is pretty important. And if it's supposed to look good in the corner of a room, then why make it symmetrical? Personally, the only place I think this form would be useful is:
A) As a blow molded pool toy. Boy, that would be fun.
B) turned upside down and used as a table. In fact, are we certain that the woman in the photo isn't just using it wrong? Maybe it IS a table :)

--------------------------
Stoke Your Creativity at www.IDFuel.com

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home